Martindale-Hubbell Bar Register
Otway & Russo is a member of The Bar Register of Preeminent Lawyers of Martindale-Hubbell. The Bar Register is limited to only the most distinguished law practices, those that have achieved an “AV” rating. The “A” signifies the highest level of legal ability; the “V” denotes very high adherence to the professional standards of conduct, ethics, reliability and diligence. The firm of Otway & Russo is “AV” rated.
American College Of Trial Lawyers
James L. Otway was selected to become a Fellow of the American College in 2003 by the nation’s leading trial attorneys. The American College is widely considered to be the premier professional organization for attorneys. The American College, founded in 1950, is “composed of the best of the trial bar from the United States and Canada. Fellowship in the College is by invitation, extended only after careful investigation, to those experienced trial attorneys who have demonstrated exceptional skill as advocates and whose professional careers have been marked by the highest standards of ethical conduct, professionalism, and civility.” There are some 5,000 fellows in the U.S., and membership can never exceed more than one percent (1 %) of the total lawyer population of any state. Among the attorneys belonging to the College are the justices of the United States Supreme Court.
Million Dollar Advocates
James L. Otway is a member of the Million Dollar Advocates, an organization which is comprised of attorneys who have won million and multi-million dollar verdicts and settlements in personal injury and wrongful death cases. There are only 3,000 lawyers nationwide who belong to this organization. The Million Dollar Advocates Forum was created to honor attorneys who are particularly skilled in litigating complex cases
Maryland Bar Foundation
James L. Otway is a Fellow of the Maryland Bar Foundation which has as its purposes the maintenance of the integrity of the legal profession and the improvement of the administration of justice. Membership is limited to not more than 2.5 percent of the Maryland State Bar Association’s membership and is by invitation.
The Litigation Counsel Of America
James L. Otway is a Fellow of The Litigation Counsel of America which is an invitation-only trial lawyer honorary society. Membership is limited to 3,500 Fellows, representing less than one-half of one percent of American lawyers.
Legal Professional Associations To Which Our Attorneys Belong
- American Association for Justice
- American Bar Association
- District of Columbia Bar Association
- Maryland Association for Justice
- Maryland Joint Commission on Juries
- Maryland State Bar Association
- Maryland Women’s Bar Association, Lower Eastern Shore Chapter
- Professionalism Commission for the State of Maryland
- Professional Partners of the Eastern Shore of Maryland
- Trial Lawyers Association of Metropolitan Washington D.C.
- Virginia State Bar Association
- Wicomico County Bar Association
- Women’s Bar Association
- Urban Salisbury (James L. Otway, Board Member)
- Our Community (James L. Otway, Board Member)
- Life Crisis Center (James L. Otway, Past Board Chairman)
- Delmarva Zoological Society (Amy L. Taylor, Chairman of the Board)
- Habitat for Humanity for Wicomico County (Kristin N. (Smith) Gilbert, Board Member)
- Salisbury Area Chamber of Commerce (Kristin N. (Smith) Gilbert, Past Board Member)
- Young Professionals of the Salisbury Area Chamber of Commerce (Kristin N. (Smith) Gilbert, Past Chair)
- Salisbury Jaycees (Kristin N. (Smith) Gilbert, Past Board Member)
- Horizons (Kristin N. (Smith) Gilbert, Past Mentor and Academic Coach for Local Student)